Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.thehindubusinessline.com
Context: Barracuda, the fastest solar-electric boat in India, stands as a remarkable feat of engineering and innovation, designed and built by a team of students from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras.
Key features and significance
- Fastest Solar-Electric Boat: Barracuda is dubbed as India's fastest solar-electric boat. It's designed by Navalt Solar and Electric Boats and can achieve speeds of up to 12.5 knots (around 23 kmph).
- Eco-Friendly Design: The boat operates solely on clean energy sources. It's powered by twin 50 kW electric motors, a marine-grade LFP battery, and incorporates 6 kW of solar power. This reliance on renewable energy minimizes air pollution and significantly reduces noise and vibration while in operation.
- Versatility and Efficiency: The Barracuda isn't just about speed and eco-friendliness; it's a versatile vessel capable of navigating through rough seas with waves as high as four meters. It can ferry up to 12 passengers and cargo, making it a practical and efficient choice for maritime transportation.
- Range and Durability: On a single charge, the boat boasts a range of seven hours, showcasing its endurance and suitability for various purposes, including as a workboat.
- Recognition and Awards: Navalt Solar and Electric Boats, the company behind the Barracuda, has garnered recognition for its innovation. Winning the world's best start-up award in the mobility and transportation category at the Berlin Start-up Energy Transition Awards 2023 highlights the boat's significance in the global shift towards sustainable transportation.
- Future Implications: The introduction of the Barracuda by Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai indicates a step towards embracing eco-friendly alternatives in maritime industries, potentially paving the way for similar sustainable vessels in the future.
- Barracuda represents a leap towards cleaner, quieter, and more sustainable maritime transportation, demonstrating the potential for innovation and eco-consciousness in the industry.
Q. What is the significance of the term "Barracuda" in recent headlines?
A) A newly discovered species of fish in the Indian Ocean.
B) A solar-powered boat designed by students from IIT Madras.
C) A breakthrough in renewable energy technology.
D) A high-speed train project in Southeast Asia.
Explanation: "Barracuda" refers to a solar-electric boat developed by students at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, making headlines due to its innovation and being recognized as the fastest solar-electric boat in India.