ASIAN GAMES 2023
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.business-standard.com
Context: India sent a contingent of 655 athletes to participate in the 19th edition of the Asian Games, which began on September 23 and will conclude on October 8, 2023, in Hangzhou, the People’s Republic of China.
- The Asian Games 2023 were originally scheduled for 2022 but were postponed by a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- At the last edition of the Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2018, India had a squad of 570 athletes and achieved a best-ever medal haul of 70 medals, including 16 gold, 23 silver, and 31 bronze medals.
- Athletics has historically been a strong sport for India at the Asian Games, accounting for a significant portion of their medals. In Hangzhou 2023, India has its largest contingent in any sport with 68 athletes participating in track and field events.
- Some of the notable Indian athletes participating in the Asian Games include Neeraj Chopra (javelin throw), Avinash Sable (3000m steeplechase), Jyothi Yarraji (hurdles), Nikhat Zareen and Lovlina Borgohain (boxing), Bajrang Punia and Antim Panghal (wrestling), Manu Bhaker and Rudrankksh Patil (shooting), Mirabai Chanu (weightlifting), PV Sindhu (badminton), and archery world champions Aditi Gopichand Swami and Ojas Pravin Deotale.
- For the first time, India is fielding both men's and women's cricket teams at the Asian Games.
- The Asian Games in Hangzhou offer 74 Paris 2024 Olympic quotas in various sports, providing athletes with an opportunity to qualify for the next Olympic Games.
Must Read Articles:
Q. Statement 1: India is fielding both men's and women's cricket teams at the Asian Games for the first time.
Statement 2: The Asian Games 2023 feature various sports including cricket.
Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?
A) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct and Statement-2 is the correct explanation for Statement-1
B) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct and Statement-2 is not the correct explanation for Statement-1
C) Statement-1 is correct but Statement-2 is incorrect
D) Statement-1 is incorrect but Statement-2 is correct
Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct and Statement-2 is the correct explanation for Statement-1. Statement 1 mentions the participation of men's and women's cricket teams at the Asian Games for the first time, and Statement 2 provides context by indicating that the Asian Games in Hangzhou indeed feature various sports, including cricket.