30th June, 2022 EXTRA TOPIC OF THE DAY
Copyright infringement not intended
- On 29th July, ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) was successfully tested from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur coast in Odisha.
- ABHYAS is indigenously designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It was launched using twin under-slung boosters that provided the initial acceleration to the vehicle.
- It is powered by a small gas turbine engine to sustain a long-range flight.
- Features of the Aircraft;
- Pre-designated low-altitude flight path.
- Tracking Sensors.
- Radar System.
- Electro-optical targeting system.
- Micro-Electromechanical Systems-based Inertial Navigation System.
- Flight Control Computer for guidance and control.
- Indigenous Radio Altimeter.
- Data Link for encrypted communication.
- The aircraft is programmed for fully autonomous flight.