14th July, 2021 Culture
- Vice President of India received the book 'Urdu Poets and Writers - Gems of Deccan' authored by senior journalist, Shri J.S. Ifthekhar.
- The book traces the rich literary and cultural traditions of Deccan, right from the time of Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah, the founder of Hyderabad, to the present times.
- Urdu is an Indo-Aryan language spoken chiefly in South Asia.
- It is the official national language and lingua franca of Pakistan.
- In India, Urdu is an Eighth Schedule language whose status, function, and cultural heritage is recognized by the Constitution of India.
- It is one of the official languages in states like Kashmir, Telangana, UP, Bihar, New Delhi and West Bengal.
- The National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Education.
- It was set up to promote, develop and propagate Urdu language. The Council started its operation in Delhi in 1996.
- In Nepal, Urdu is a registered regional dialect.