Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: kaybeebio.com
Context: The Indian Institute of Spices Research (IISR) in Kozhikode has successfully developed a new granular lime-based Trichoderma formulation called 'Tricholime’.
- The development of the granular lime-based Trichoderma bio-pesticide and fertiliser, named 'Tricholime,' by the Indian Institute of Spices Research (IISR) in Kozhikode is a noteworthy advancement in agriculture.
- The project was led by the IISR Director and his team of scientists. Their efforts have resulted in a product that not only addresses specific agricultural challenges but also holds promise for further research and development in the field of bio-pesticides and fertilizers.
- The IISR hopes that the success of Tricholime can pave the way for the development of similar products integrating different bioagents. This could contribute to sustainable agricultural practices, benefiting both farmers and the environment.
- Integrated Solution: Tricholime combines Trichoderma, a fungal biocontrol agent known for its effectiveness against soil-borne pathogens, with lime in a granular formulation. This integration aims to simplify the application process for farmers.
- Soil Acidity Neutralization: One of the significant features of Tricholime is its ability to neutralize soil acidity. This is crucial for maintaining optimal soil pH, which is essential for nutrient availability and uptake by plants.
- Bio-Pesticide and Bio-Fertilizer: Trichoderma has established itself as an effective bio-pesticide and bio-fertilizer. Its presence in the formulation helps in controlling various soil-borne pathogens while promoting plant growth. Additionally, it enhances the soil's microbial activity and improves nutrient availability.
- Single Application Benefit: The formulation's ability to address soil acidity, act as a bio-pesticide, and function as a bio-fertilizer, all in a single application, simplifies the farming process. This could lead to increased efficiency and cost-effectiveness for farmers.
- Support for Organic Farming: The scientists anticipate that the technology behind Tricholime could be extended to include other beneficial bioagents. This opens up possibilities for developing new products that support sustainable organic farming practices.
- The development of Tricholime represents a significant step towards integrated and sustainable agricultural solutions, combining the benefits of bio-pesticides and fertilizers in a single, user-friendly product.
Q. What is the significance of the term "Tricholime" in recent news?
A) It's a newly discovered mineral found in India.
B) It's a breakthrough in space exploration technology.
C) It's a lime-based formulation developed for agriculture.
D) It's a term coined for a renewable energy source.
Explanation: "Tricholime" made headlines due to its development as a lime-based Trichoderma formulation designed to aid agricultural practices.