‘Surakshit Hum Surakshit Tum Abhiyaan’
GS PAPER II: Welfare Schemes for Vulnerable Sections of the population by the Centre and States and the Performance of these Schemes; Mechanisms, Laws, Institutions and Bodies constituted for the Protection and Betterment of these Vulnerable Sections.
Context: The NITI Aayog and Piramal Foundation launched ‘Surakshit Hum Surakshit Tum Abhiyaan’ in 112 Aspirational Districts to assist district administrations in providing home-care support to COVID-19 patients who are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.
- The campaign will provide covid home-care support to 20 lakh citizens.
- The Abhiyaan is part of a special initiative in which local leaders, civil societies and volunteers work with district administrations to address emerging problems across key focus areas of the Aspirational Districts Programme.
- The campaign will be led by district magistrates in partnership with over one thousand local NGOs, which will enlist and train over one lakh volunteers to connect with patients through inbound and outbound calls.
- Piramal Foundation will work with district magistrates to support the training of NGOs and volunteers.
- It is a significant initiative and it will provide long-term support to India’s poorest communities in the Aspirational Districts by addressing the lasting impact of COVID-19.
- The campaign is expected to play a key role in district preparedness for managing nearly 70 per cent of COVID cases at home, reducing pressure on the health system, and stemming the spread of fear amongst the people.
- The campaign will also undertake capacity building of citizens for correct usage of Oxygen concentrators that have been supplied to these districts.
- NGOs will mobilize local volunteers to provide home-care support to those affected, based on the guidelines of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Volunteers will be trained to support 20 affected families each by educating caretakers to follow COVID protocols, provide psycho-social support and timely updates about patients to the administration.