Seed Minikit Programme
GS PAPER II: Welfare Schemes for Vulnerable Sections of the population by the Centre and States and the Performance of these Schemes; Mechanisms, Laws, Institutions and Bodies constituted for the Protection and Betterment of these Vulnerable Sections
Context: The Seed Minikit Programme launched by Union Agriculture Minster by distributing Seed Minikits (higher yielding varieties of seeds) to farmers.
- Central government in collaboration with states has been implementing various activities to enhance production and productivity of pulses and oilseeds under the National Food Security Mission.
- From the year 2014-15, there has been a renewed focus on increasing the production of pulses and oilseeds.
- Seed Minikits programme is a major tool for introducing new varieties of seeds in the farmers fields and is instrumental for increasing the seed replacement rate.
- The mini kits are being provided by the Central Agencies National Seeds Corporation (NCS), NAFED and Gujarat State Seeds Corporation and wholly funded by the Government of India through the National Food Security Mission.
- The conversation with the farmers revealed their awareness about the programme and the benefits of the mini kits which they promised to share with fellow farmers.
- The Government’s priority is on increasing production of pulses and oilseeds. The formulated strategies are to increase production through area expansion, productivity through HYVs, MSP support and procurement.