SOCIAL SECURITY SCHEME FOR LABOURERS
29th July, 2022 Social Issues
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Minister of State for Labour and Employment has updated the Rajya Sabha about the steps taken to provide Social Security to unorganised sector workers.
- The Ministry has initiated several welfare schemes to provide;
- Life and disability cover.
- Health and maternity benefits.
- Old age protection.
- Other benefits may be specified by the Union Government.
Social Security Scheme for Labourers
- The Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) provide Life and Disability cover.
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) is available to people in the age group of 18 to 50 years. Risk coverage under this scheme is for Rs. 2.00 lakh in case of death of the insured, due to any reason, at an annual premium of Rs. 436.
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) is available to people in the age group of 18 to 70 years. The risk coverage under the scheme is for Rs 2.00 lakh in case of accidental death or total permanent disability and Rs. 1.00 lakh for partial permanent disability; due to accident at a premium of Rs. 20 per annum.
- Annual healths cover Rs. 5 lakhs per eligible family for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization under the Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).
- It is a completely cashless and paperless scheme.
- The beneficiary families have been identified from the Social Economic Caste Census (SECC) of 2011.
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-Dhan (PM-SYM) pension scheme provides old age protection.
- It provides a monthly pension of Rs. 3000/- after attaining the age of 60 years.
- The workers in the age group of 18-40 years whose monthly income is Rs. 15000/- or less and not a member of EPFO/ESIC/NPS (Govt. funded) can join the Scheme.
- 50% monthly contribution is payable by the beneficiary and an equal matching contribution is paid by the Central Government.
- Atal Pension Yojana.
- PM MUDRA Yojna to provide financial assistance.
- Direct Benefit Scheme to help needy people, remove middlemen and encourage Social Security
- Public Distribution System under National Food Security Act.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- The e-Shram portal was launched to create a National Database of unorganised workers and to facilitate the delivery of Social Security Schemes/Welfare Schemes to the unorganised workers.