SARASWATI SAMMAN 2022
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: The Hindu
Context: Tamil writer Sivasankari was honoured with the 'Saraswati Samman' in 2022 for her book of memoirs titled "Surya Vamsam."
- Saraswati Samman is an annual award for outstanding prose or poetry literary works in any of the 22 languages of India listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India. It is named after the Hindu goddess of knowledge, Saraswati.
- It was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991. The award carries a cash prize of ₹15 lakh, a citation, and a plaque.
- Saraswati Samman 2022 was recently awarded to a Tamil writer Sivasankari for her book of memoirs, Surya Vamsam.
- "Surya Vamsam" is a two-volume work of memoirs that not only traces the journey of an innocent child becoming a renowned author but also captures the societal transformations over the course of seven decades, as stated in the award citation.
- The selection for this award was made by a Chayan Parishad (Selection Committee) led by former Supreme Court judge Arjan Kumar Sikri.
- Sivasankari, born in 1942, has a literary career spanning over five decades, during which she has authored 36 novels, 48 novelettes, 150 short stories, five travelogues, seven collections of essays, and three biographies. Many of her works have been translated into various Indian languages, as well as English, Japanese, and Ukrainian.
- The Saraswati Samman is considered one of the most prestigious awards in India, presented annually for an outstanding literary work by an Indian citizen published during the last 10 years in any of the languages listed in Schedule VIII of the Indian Constitution.
Q. Consider the following statements:
Statement 1: The Saraswati Samman was instituted by the Indian government.
Statement 2: The award is given for exceptional contributions to Indian literature, recognizing outstanding literary works in any of the 22 languages of India listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India.
Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?
A) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct, and Statement-2 is the correct explanation for Statement-1
B) Both Statement-1 and Statement-2 are correct, and Statement-2 is not the correct explanation for Statement-1
C) Statement-1 is correct, but Statement-2 is incorrect
D) Statement-1 is incorrect, but Statement-2 is correct
Statement 1 is incorrect: The Saraswati Samman is an annual literary award given to recognize exceptional contributions to Indian literature. While the award is presented annually, it is not specifically awarded by the Indian government. It is instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation, a private institution, and is not a government award.
Statement 2 is correct: The Saraswati Samman is given to honour exceptional contributions to Indian literature. It recognizes outstanding literary works in prose or poetry, and it is open to works in any of the 22 languages of India that are listed in Schedule VIII of the Indian Constitution.