Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: apkcombo.com
Context: The 'SAMUDRA' mobile app, launched by the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), is designed to provide a range of ocean-related information and services.
- The mobile app provides users with real-time updates and critical alerts concerning oceanic disasters like tsunamis, storm surges, high waves, and swell surge alerts. This information empowers individuals and communities to remain informed and take necessary precautions to protect lives and property.
- The App is particularly beneficial for the fishing community, it offers advisories regarding Potential Fishing Zones (PFZs), helping fishermen locate probable fish aggregation spots.
- It includes interactive maps, charts, and animations to enhance understanding of intricate oceanic phenomena. It aims to serve as a cutting-edge tool, bolstering marine safety and profitable fishing operations.
- It aligns with the INCOIS mission to provide ocean data, information, and advisory services, promoting sustainable ocean activities and contributing to the Blue Economy.
- The app is currently available in English; plans are in place to include eight coastal languages in the near future.
Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS)
- It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Earth Sciences. Established in 1999, the headquartered in Hyderabad, India.
- Its primary mandate is to provide various ocean information and advisory services to support various ocean-based activities and decision-making in India.
- It plays a crucial role in monitoring and forecasting various oceanographic parameters and phenomena, including sea surface temperature, ocean currents, wave forecasts, and potential fishing zones.
- It collects data from various sources such as satellites, buoys, and other ocean observing systems, and processes this data to generate forecasts and advisories that are useful for maritime operations, coastal management, disaster management, and scientific research.
Q. What are the key aspects of coastal area management, and why is it significant for the sustainability of both natural ecosystems and human communities? What challenges are commonly faced in effectively managing coastal areas, and what strategies can be considered to overcome these challenges and pave the way forward for more successful and resilient coastal management?