Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to Rajmata Jijau on her Jayanti and said that her name will always be a part of our history for mentoring a great person like Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Jijabai Bhonsle, referred to as Rajmata, Rastramata, Jijabai or Jijau, was the mother of Shivaji, the founder of the Maratha Empire.
- She was the daughter of Lakhujirao Jadhav of Sindkhed Raja.
About Shivaji Maharaj:
- Shivaji Bhonsale I, also referred to as Chhatrapati Shivaji, was an Indian ruler and a member of the Bhonsle Maratha clan.
- Shivaji carved out an enclave from the declining Adilshahi sultanate of Bijapur that formed the genesis of the Maratha Empire.
- In 1674, he was formally crowned the Chhatrapati of his realm at Raigad Fort.
- He established a competent and progressive civil rule with well-structured administrative organizations.
- He revived ancient Hindu political traditions, and court conventions and promoted the usage of the Marathi and Sanskrit languages, replacing Persian in court and administration.
- The Council of Eight Ministers, or Ashta Pradhan Mandal, was an administrative and advisory council set up by Shivaji.