Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- In a significant achievement towards recognizing efforts in the health sector and especially COVID management, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India received the Porter Prize 2023.
- The prize was announced during The India Dialog at Stanford University.
- Porter Prize is named after Michael E. Porter, an economist, researcher, author, advisor, speaker, and teacher.
- He has brought economic theory and strategy concepts to bear on many of the most challenging problems facing corporations, economies, and societies, including market competition and company strategy, economic development, the environment and healthcare.
- His research has received numerous awards, and he is the most cited scholar today in economics and business.
India- Recipient of Porter Prize in 2023
- It recognized the government's strategy in managing COVID-19, also the approach, and involvement of various stakeholders especially the involvement of ASHA workers in the industry to create PPE Kits.
- It was also noted that the idea of vaccine development and vaccine manufacturing and the scale that India achieved, was tremendous.
- They elaborated on the three cornerstones of India’s strategy – containment, relief package, and vaccine administration.
- It observes that these three measures were critical in saving lives and ensuring economic activity by containing the spread of the COVID-19, sustaining livelihoods, and developing immunity against the virus.
- India thus, balanced the social agendas along with economic outcomes in planning its response and thus, showed resilience through its healthcare system.
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct?
a. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India received the Porter Prize 2023.
b. It recognized the government's strategy in managing COVID-19.
I. Only a
II. Only b
III. Both a and b
IV. Neither a nor b
Answer: Option III