Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Russia will be dispatching the naval and air forces to participate in the strategic drills 'Northern/Interaction 2023'.
- Troops of China and Russia will be participating in the Military drills in the central region of the Sea of Japan.
- Northern/Interaction 2023 is organized by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Northern Theater Command.
- This joint exercise aims at enhancing the level of strategic cooperation between the Chinese and Russian militaries, as well as strengthening both sides’ ability to jointly safeguard regional peace and stability when dealing with various security challenges.
- The 2023 drills are organized by the PLA Northern Theatre Command, while PLA forces participating in the previous 2021 exercise were mainly composed of forces from the Western Theatre Command.
Sea of Japan
- The Sea of Japan is the marginal sea between the Japanese archipelago, Sakhalin, the Korean Peninsula, and the mainland of the Russian Far East.
- The Japanese archipelago separates the sea from the Pacific Ocean.
- Like the Mediterranean Sea, it has almost no tides due to its nearly complete enclosure from the Pacific Ocean.
- The sea has no large islands, bays or capes.
- Fishing is the dominant economic activity in the region.
China Russia Military Drills
- The Military exercises between the two nations were highest in 2022.
- As per the data compiled by the US National Defense University’s Center for the Study of Chinese Military Affairs, both conducted six joint military exercises together.
- Four of the military exercises were conducted after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine.
- Russia and China have conducted at least 36 drills together in the wake of Russia’s annexation of Crimea.
- The power dynamic in Northeast Asia is undergoing a dramatic change against the backdrop of the “no limits” strategic partnership between China and Russia.
- The Northeast Asian theater is going to be a crucial arena in the brewing big-power confrontation, what with the Arctic hotting up and the Northern Sea Route becoming operational, which will catapult the strategic importance of the Russian Far East and Siberia as the powerhouse of the world economy in the 21st century.
Q. Northeast Asian theater is going to be a crucial arena in the brewing big-power confrontation. Do you agree? Give reasons. (150 Words)