NAVEGAON NAGZIRA TIGER RESERVE
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- A tigress has given birth to four cubs in the Navegaon Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) in Maharashtra’s Gondia district.
- Navegaon National Park is a National park located in the Arjuni Morgaon subdivision of Gondia district in state of Maharashtra, India.
- The Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Navegaon is home to almost 60% of the bird species found in entire Maharashtra.
- The national park has diverse type of vegetation ranging from dry mixed forest to moist forest. The forest type is Southern tropical dry deciduous forest.
- The name "Navegaon" comes from the word Nave + gaon (Nave means new in Marathi and Gaon means village).
- This area also known as Navegaon Bandh locally because of the presence of the water body.
- Mostly tribal people lives here and this area was under Gond Kings in the old days.
- It was established 22 November 1975 and is located in the eastern part of Maharashtra state and covers an area of 133.78 km2.
Ecological or environmental values
- It is an important conservation unit in Central India in general and Vidarbha in particular.
- It acts a “Green-lung” for the adjoining human settlements and helps in maintaining the environmental balance.
- The vertebrate fauna includes, besides a number of fishes, 209 species of birds, 9 species of reptiles and 26 species of mammals which includes Tiger, Panther, Jungle cat, Small India Civet, Palm Civet, Wolf, Jackals, Bisons, Sambars, Nilgais, Chitals, Wild boars, Sloth Bears, and Nathan Lewis in this national park.
- The typical geological formations are Sakoli Series having number of formations made of phyllites, slates, chlorites etc. and Saucer Series.
- All this is coupled with a diversity of terrain having steep ridges, narrow valleys and deep gorges with varying altitude.
- Human-wildlife conflict is common, with killing of domestic livestock by tigers and leopards as a frequent phenomenon in the areas neighboring villages.
About Nawegaon-Nagzira Tiger Reserve
- Nawegaon-Nagzira Tiger Reserve is situated in Gondia and Shandara Districts of Maharashtra.
- The reserve is rich in bio-diversity and has linkages with Kanha, Pench and Tadoba Tiger Reserves.
- The topography is undulating, and the highest point viz. ‘Zenda Pahad’.
- The forests are "Southern Tropical Dry Deciduous".
- The major wild animals are: Tiger, Panther, Small Indian Civet, Palm Civet, Wolf, Jackal, Wild Dog, Sloth Bear, Ratel, Common Giant Flying Squirrel, Gaur, Sambar, Chital, Four Horned Antelope, Mouse Deer and Pangolin.
- The reserve has a low occupancy of tiger but is crucial owing to its linkage with other tiger rich areas.
Q) Which of the following statements with reference to Navegaon National Park is/are correct?
1. It is a National park located in the Gondia district in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
2. The forest type is Southern tropical dry deciduous forest.
a. 1 only
b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer: b