NATIONAL INTERNET EXCHANGE OF INDIA
11th July, 2022 Science and Technology
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Minister of State, Electronics and Information Technology, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, will be inaugurating two new Internet Exchange points (IXP) of NIXI at Durgapur and Bardhman.
- It’s an initiative under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) vision 1000 days.
- NIXI is a not for profit Organization under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013 and was registered in 2003. It was formed with an objective of facilitating improved internet services in the country.
- NIXI was set up for peering/connecting of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) among themselves for the purpose of routing the domestic traffic within the country. Earlier we had to take it from all the way to US/Abroad.
- Domestic peering will result in better quality of service (reduced latency) and reduced bandwidth charges for ISPs by saving on International Bandwidth.
- NIXI is managed and operated on a Neutral basis, in line with the best practices for such initiatives globally.
- It is working since 2003 for spreading the internet infrastructure to the citizens of India through the following activities:
Internet Exchanges through which the internet data is exchanged amongst ISP’s, Data Centers and CDNs.
- The Internet Exchange Nodes have been successful in ensuring peering of ISPs among themselves for the purpose of routing the domestic traffic within the country, instead of taking abroad, thereby resulting in better quality of service (reduced latency) and reduced bandwidth charges for ISPs by saving on international bandwidth.
IN Registry, managing and operation of .IN country code domain and .भारत IDN domain for India.and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs):
- Since 2005, NIXI has managed the .in registry (www.registry.in). As many as 138 registrars have been accredited to offer .in domain name registration worldwide to customers. This has helped proliferation of web hosting in the country and promotion of Indian language content on the Internet.
- .in is India’s top-level domain on the Internet. Like .com, .in can be used for email, websites, and other applications. Over 24.23 lakh .in domain names have been registered till December 2020. IDNs in all 22 official languages are launched and over 3,700 IDNs domain names have been registered till date.
National Internet Registry (NIR):
- Since March 2012, NIXI has been running the National Internet Registry (NIR) as Indian Registry for Internet Names and Numbers (IRINN). IRINN is responsible for allocation of IP addresses and AS Numbers within the country.
Launch of new NIXI points
- The launch of these new NIXI internet exchanges in state will contribute to the enhancement and improvement of Internet and Broadband services at local level and in neighboring regions.
- The internet service providers connecting at these points will benefit as their broadband services to their end users will improve, bringing about a change in the lives of the people of the region.
- Opening of these new IXPs will benefit every sector of the state ranging from health, education, agriculture, startup, ecosystem to MSMEs & other business verticals.
- Accessibility and convenience will increase for citizens in terms of availing government benefits and improving quality of life. The 2 new Internet Exchange nodes from NIXI are certain to boost the state’s Internet ecology.
- In order to improve the overall Indian internet ecosystem and give internet users access to it at a low cost with improved speed, NIXI plans to install such internet exchanges in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities in the near future.