Gutti Koya Tribe
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Stone memorials erected in village Ramachandrapuram, inside forest on A.P.-Chhattisgarh border by people of Gutti Koya Tribe.
- It is erected to give tribute to three most important dignitaries - physician, priest and village leader and in this way tribal people express their gratitude for their services.
- These community servants served the tribal people in Ramachandrapuram village which is situated in Kunavaram Mandal of Alluri Sitarama Raju District.
- The village Ramachandrapuram is inhabited by 40 families of Gutti Koya tribe.
- During 2005-11, following a series of clashes between Salwa Judum and Naxalites, these families migrated here from Dantewara district in Chhattisgarh.
- Dantewara district falls in Left Wing Extremist active region, also known as red corridor.
- Only 3 people Vejji (physician), poojari (priest) and the community head are buried, rest are cremated.
- After death of any of these persons, a stone of the size of the deceased person is searched.
- Then it is kept in forest in the memory of the person.
- When the memorial is installed, a feast is organized by the family of deceased.
- Thing like a knife, a sickle, Mahua liquor, which were dear to the deceased, are placed under stone memorial.
Gutti Koya Tribe
- It is a tribal community which is spread in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, and Odisha.
- Their livelihood sources are animal husbandry and minor forest produce.
- They appoint only males to the position of physician, priest and village leader.
- Earlier this tribe was in news when some people of this tribe killed a forest range officer in Telangana.
Must Read Article:
GUTTI KOYA TRIBALS
Consider the following statements about Gutti Koya Tribe:
1. It is tribe community belonging to state of Tamilnadu.
2. This tribe appoints only male to the position of physician.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. Neither 1 nor 2