Gandhi Sagar Sanctuary
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Authorities, in accordance with the Cheetah Action Plan, can most likely shift African cheetahs to Gandhi sagar sanctuary situated on the northern border of Mandsaur and Nimach districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- These African felines will be shifted from Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh which is 5 to 6 hrs drive from the sanctuary.
- However the numbers of cheetahs are not decided
- As per Cheetah action plan there is a need to identify newer habitats for cheetahs.
- For monitoring, survival and other aspects of this species details plan is prepared by official.
- Earlier SC directed government to distribute cheetahs over a wider geographic range after three cheetahs were died within a short span of 45 days.
- The forest of this sanctuary is spread in an area of approximately 368 square kilometres.
- With an additional 2,500 sq km area surrounding the forest it will be an ideal habitat for Cheetah.
- For the purpose of providing home to Cheetah, an enclosure is being prepared, covering an area of 60-70 sq km.
- This will help in better survivability of the species.
- In 2009, Cheetah was listed on the Appendix I of Convention on Migratory Species.
- IUCN lists this species as a vulnerable (VU) species on the IUCN Red List.
Must Read Article:
More details about Gandhi sagar sanctury
Cheetah in India
Reintroduction of Cheetah in India
Consider the following statements about Cheetah:
1. In India only few such animals of Asiatic Cheetah are found in wild.
2. African Cheetah is classified as vulnerable species in IUCN Red list.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
A. 1 only
B. 2 only
C. Both 1 and 2
D. Neither 1 nor 2