"Fab 4" or ‘Chip 4’
28th February, 2023 Science and Technology
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The U.S.-led "Fab 4" or ‘Chip 4’ semiconductor alliance of Taiwan, the United States, Japan and South Korea held its first video meeting of senior officials.
Fab 4: Background
- The "Fab" in the name refers to a shorthand industry expression for the fabrication plants where chips, used in everything from fridges and smartphones to fighter jets, are made.
- The countries that are a member of this group in the Indo-Pacific region is home to some of the world’s largest contract chip makers including.
- The United States September 2022 convened the first meeting of the working group, to discuss how to strengthen the semiconductor supply chain, after a global chip crunch caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The semiconductor shortage, which forced some carmakers to halt production, thrust chip powerhouse Taiwan into the spotlight and has made supply chain management a bigger priority for governments around the world.
The recent meeting
- The focus of the discussions of the participating quartet at the meeting was mainly on how to maintain the resilience of the semiconductor supply chain and explore the possible future cooperation directions of all parties.
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct?
a. The U.S.-led "Fab 4" or ‘Chip 4’ is a semiconductor alliance of Taiwan, United States, China and South Korea.
b. India imports 100% of its semiconductors.
I. Only a
II. Only b
III. Both a and b
IV. Neither a nor b
Answer: Option II
Must Read: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/semiconductor