Employment Mobility Agreement
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Indian and Taiwanese governments are expected to sign an employment mobility agreement by December this year.
The reason behind the Agreement
- The decision comes as Taiwan grapples with an aging population, necessitating a larger workforce.
- By 2025, Taiwan is projected to become a "super-aged" society, with the elderly constituting over a fifth of the population.
- Taiwan is looking to hire at least one lakh Indian workers in various sectors, including factories, farms, and hospitals.
- The employment mobility agreement is a step in this direction.
- The Ministry of External Affairs confirmed that the India-Taiwan jobs pact is in its final stages of negotiation.
- Taiwan, where the unemployment rate has dropped to its lowest since 2000, will offer pay parity with locals and insurance policies to Indian workers to keep its $790 billion economy afloat.
READ ABOUT INDIA TAIWAN RELATIONS: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/india-taiwan-relations
Q. With India facing its own problems with China at the LAC, there have been suggestions that it should review its One China Policy and develop more robust relations with Taiwan to send a message to Beijing. Analyze.