Cerberus and Charon
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- In Europe continent two consecutive heat storms for last two weeks are causing consistent heat wave situation
- First heat wave arrived July 10, it was named ‘Cerberus’; while second heatwaves is named Charon.
- The temperature is rising with the arrival of these heat waves.
- The names of these heat waves, inspired from Greek Mythology, are also being popular.
Cerberus and Charon
- As per Greek mythology it is a three-headed watchdog who is considered to be fearsome and tireless.
- Typhon (a deadly serpentine giant) and Echidna (a half-woman, half-snake) are believed to be its parents.
- The book Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold, by Stephen Fry , mentioned it to be the foremost hound of hell and guardian of the underworld.
- He and his sister hydra, a gigantic water-snake-like monster, were picked by the god of the dead (hades) to guard the entrances to hell.
- As per the mythology it is almost impossible to fool or circumvent
- One cannot visit to Hades’ underworld and return safely without the permission of Cerberus.
- He is believed to be a ferryman of the Greek underworld whose main function is to deliver souls.
- He is considered as the god of time in Greek mythology.
- He is a son of Erebus and Nyx. Both parents are creations of Chaos.
- Erebus – is darkness
- Nyx - is night
- After death of a person, his soul is led to the underground cavern by Hermes or Thanatos (personification of Death).
- In this cavern River Styx (Hate) met the River Acheron (Woe). These two rivers are believed to separate the worlds of the living and the dead.
- It receives its payment for transporting the souls across the Styx.
- Without payment to Charon soul is stuck on the bank of river for hundreds of years.
Popularity of Mythological names of Heatwaves
- Cerberus became popular after, iLMeteo, a weather website of Italy, named an anticyclone in the region as Cerberus.
- This website is a popular weather website which names anticyclones after mythological figures.
- The anti cyclone that entered in southern Europe from north Africa was also named Cerberus.
- As per Yahoo news, the heat waves and instances of extreme heat were related to various climatic zones of Italy for instance –
- North part (Dominated by the Alps) - Above average temperature.
- Centre Region (also includes Rome) – higher than usual temperature.
- Mediterranean Islands of Sicily and Sardina – Worst affected regions
- It is still not clear why heat waves were named Charon and Cerberus. However name Charon seems appropriate as this heat wave is a silent killer.
- Some experts believe that such names help in spreading more awareness about the weather conditions and their harmful effects.
Must Read Article:
The terms Cerberus and Charon were recently in news. These terms refer to :
1. Name of heat waves based on African mythology.
2. Name of cyclones based on Greek Mythology.
3. Name of newly discovered fish species of pacific ocean.
4. None of these