Centre mulls unique ID for all plots of land by March 2022
30th March, 2021 Policy
- The Centre plans to issue a 14-digit identification number to every plot of land in the country within a year.
- It will subsequently integrate its land records database with revenue court records and bank records, as well as Aadhaar numbers on a voluntary basis.
Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN) scheme:
- It has been launched in 10 States this year and will be rolled out across the country by March 2022.
- It is described as “the Aadhaar for land” — a number that would uniquely identify every surveyed parcel of land and prevent land fraud, especially in rural India, where land records are outdated and disputed.
- The identification will be based on the longitude and latitude of the land parcel, and is dependent on detailed surveys and geo-referenced cadastral maps.