12th July, 2021 Culture
- 'Bonalu' festivities to begin in Telangana.
- ‘Bonalu’ is a traditional folk festival celebrated every year in the Telugu month of Ashadham (falling in June/July), in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad, and some other parts of Telangana state.
- The Bonalu festival involves devotees offering the traditional 'bonam' (derived from Bhojanam, meaning meals) to the goddess Mahankali at 25 temples.
- The origin of this festival can be traced back to the 18th Century in the erstwhile Hyderabad State.
- Other major festivals of Telangana: Bathukamma Festival and Sammakka Sarakka Jatara.