AYUSHMAN AROGYA MANDIR
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: NEWS18
Context: The Indian government has decided to rename the existing Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs) as ‘Ayushman Arogy Mandir’ with the tagline ‘Arogyam Parmam Dhanam’. This means “Health is the greatest wealth” in Sanskrit.
- The Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs) have been instrumental in reshaping India's healthcare approach, focusing on holistic wellness and preventive care.
- Rename AB-HWCs as 'Ayushman Arogya Mandir' is part of a strategic initiative by the Union Government to further emphasize the integration of healthcare services and the shift from treating illnesses to promoting overall wellness.
- The AB-HWCs are being rebranded as 'Ayushman Arogya Mandir' with the tagline 'Arogyam Parmam Dhanam', signifying the value of health as the foremost wealth.
- This rebranding aims to align with the vision of Ayushman India and emphasize the holistic nature of healthcare, transcending the traditional healthcare model focused solely on treating diseases.
- The Union Health Ministry has urged all States and Union Territories to complete this rebranding process by the end of 2023.
- The centres are instructed to retain the National Health Mission (NHM) logo in the rebranded centres, ensuring continuity in identification.
- In regions where scripts other than Devanagari (Hindi) or English are used, the full title can be translated into the state language(s), while the tagline should be transliterated into the respective state language(s).
- The proposed funds required for renaming each existing facility have been estimated at ₹3,000 per centre.
- States are mandated to upload new photographs of these rebranded primary health facilities onto the AB-HWC portal once the rebranding is completed.
- Currently, India has over 1.6 lakh AB-HWCs, aimed at providing comprehensive primary healthcare services, including maternal and child health services, essential drugs, diagnostic services, and screenings for various health conditions.
Impact and Objectives
- The AB-HWCs have successfully shifted the healthcare paradigm from illness-centric to wellness-focused, embodying a preventive healthcare approach.
- These centres aim to bring healthcare closer to people's homes, ensuring access to essential services like screenings for chronic diseases and maternal and child health services.
- The renaming initiative represents a strategic effort to reinforce the significance of holistic health and preventive care within India's healthcare infrastructure. It aligns with the government's vision to create a robust healthcare system focused not just on treating diseases but also on promoting wellness at the grassroots level.
Must Read Articles:
Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/ayushman-bharat-digital-mission-40
Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY): https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/ayushman-bharat-pradhan-mantri-jan-arogya-yojana-ab-pmjay
Q. How has the implementation of Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs) impacted primary healthcare delivery in India, and what specific measures have been taken to ensure the success and accessibility of these centres in promoting health and wellness at the grassroots level?