ATAL VAYO ABHYUDAY YOJANA (AVYAY)
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSrC), a component of the scheme of Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana(AVYAY)
ATAL VAYO ABHYUDAY YOJANA (AVYAY)
- Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) is a comprehensive initiative aimed at ensuring a dignified life for senior citizens in India.
- This scheme recognizes and appreciates the valuable contributions made by the elderly to society and seeks to ensure their well-being and social inclusion.
- The National Action Plan for Senior Citizen (NAPSrc) was renamed and named as Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) and a new scheme was launched in April 2021.
- Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY), an integrated scheme for senior citizens, provides financial assistance to eligible organizations for running care homes for senior citizens.
Integrated Program for Senior Citizens (IPSrC)
- Under the umbrella scheme, Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY), the Integrated Program for Senior Citizens (IPSrC) provides financial assistance to eligible organizations for the operation and maintenance of Senior Citizen Homes/Continuous Care Homes.
- The aim is to improve the quality of life for senior citizens, especially those who are indigent, by providing basic amenities, and entertainment opportunities, and promoting productive and active aging.
- The achievements under IPSrC are significant. Currently, there are a total of 552 Senior Citizen Homes, 14 Continuous Care Homes, 19 mobile Medicare units, and 5 physiotherapy clinics that are being supported and maintained by various non-governmental organizations (NGOs) across the country.
- Approximately 150,000 beneficiaries are residing in these Senior Citizen Homes, and 361 districts across the country have been covered. Over the past three financial years, a total of Rs. 288.08 crore in grants have been released, benefiting 363,570 individuals.
Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY)
- Another component of the AVYAY Scheme is the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY), which aims to provide eligible senior citizens suffering from age-related disabilities or infirmities with assisted living devices.
- These devices help restore near normalcy in their bodily functions and overcome disabilities such as low vision, hearing impairment, loss of teeth, and locomotor disabilities.
- Beneficiaries of this scheme must meet the financial criteria of either belonging to the ‘Below Poverty Line’ (BPL) category or having a monthly income of up to Rs. 15,000 (Rupees Fifteen Thousand).
- The achievements under the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) are noteworthy. Various implementing agencies have organized a total of 269 camps to date, benefiting over 400,000 individuals.
- During the past three financial years, a total amount of Rs. 140.34 crore has been released, and 848,841 devices have been distributed to 157,514 beneficiaries in 130 camps.
National Helpline called Elderline
- A national helpline called Elderline has been established to further support senior citizens. This toll-free helpline number, 14567, was launched on October 1, 2021, to provide free information, guidance, emotional support, and field intervention in cases of abuse and rescues. Elderline operates from 8 am to 8 pm, seven days a week, and is active in 31 states and union territories. The amount of Rs. 82.68 crore has been allocated to the Elderline scheme during the past three financial years.
- Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) is a testament to the government's commitment to the well-being and empowerment of senior citizens in India.
READ ABOUT OTHER WELFARE SCHEMES FOR SENIOR CITIZENS:
Q. Which of the following are welfare schemes for Senior Citizens?
1. ATAL VAYO ABHYUDAY YOJANA
2. RASHTRIYA VAYOSHRI YOJANA
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 3, and 4 only
(d) None of the above.
Correct Answer: (a) 1 and 2 only