19th July, 2021 Agriculture
- Tripura has initiated steps to promote commercial cultivation of Agar.
- Agar-agar, is a jelly-like substance obtained from red algae.
- It forms the supporting structure in the cell walls of certain species of algae and is released on boiling.
- These algae are known as agarophytes, belonging to the Rhodophyta (red algae) phylum.
- Agar has been used as an ingredient in desserts throughout Asia and also as a solid substrate to contain culture media for microbiological work.
- Agar can be used as a laxative, an appetite suppressant, a vegetarian substitute for gelatin, a thickener for soups, in fruit preserves, ice cream, and other desserts, as a clarifying agent in brewing, and for sizing paper and fabrics.