181% RISE IN DRUG CASES
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: The Minister of Home Affairs said that the number of criminal cases filed against drug traffickers and cartels in the country increased by 181% in the last nine years.
- The Minister of Home Affairs addressed the first conference of the heads of Anti-Narcotics Task Forces of states and Union territories.
Highlights of the Home Minister's Speech
- He asked anti-narcotics agencies to be “ruthless” in dealing with drug traffickers.
- He stated that all states must work together with central agencies to reduce the use of the dark web and cryptocurrency.
- The Ministry has set a goal of making India "drug-free" by 2047 when the country would celebrate its 100th year of independence.
- He said that the number of criminal cases filed against drug traffickers and cartels in the country increased by 181% over the course of nine years.
- He launched an app to identify the illegal farming of drugs.
Must Read Articles:
Drug Abuse in India: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/drug-abuse-in-india
Q. Drug abuse is a serious problem that affects millions of people around the world. It can have negative consequences on physical and mental health, social relationships, education, employment, and crime. What are some of the main causes of drug abuse and what are some possible solutions to prevent or reduce it?