KARGIL VIJAY DIWAS
26th July, 2022 EXTRA TOPIC OF THE DAY
Copyright infringement not intended
- The 1999 Kargil war was fought by the Indian Army to recapture the Indian territories from Pakistan intruders in the Kargil-Drass sector in 1999.
- In the war, India came out victorious on July 26, 1999.
- 26 July is marked as the Kargil Vijay Diwas to show respect and gratitude to the armed forces personnel who sacrificed their lives during the war.
- The Kargil War took place in 1999 from 3rd May-26th July.
- The war was fought in the Kargil district of Kashmir and along the Line of Control (LOC).
- Indian Army launched 'Operation Vijay' to clear the infiltration Kargil sector from Pakistani soldiers and Kashmiri militants on the Indian side of the Line of Control.
- Indian Air Force launched the ‘Safed Sagar’ operation; it was a major part of the Kargil war.
- India lost more than 500 military men on the Kargil territory.
- The 60-day-long war resulted in the loss of several lives on both sides; India eventually won the war by regaining control of all the previously held territory.