Indian Coast Guard
GS PAPER III: Security challenges and their management in border areas - linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
Context: National Security Advisor commissioned Indian Coast Guard (ICG) Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) Sajag through digital means and dedicated it to the nation for safeguarding the maritime interests.
- OPV Sajag is constructed by M/s Goa Shipyard Limited.
About Indian Coast Guard:
- ICG is a multifarious force, undertaking concurrent operations and being the first responder for any developing situation at sea.
- Their personnel work in very diverse conditions and circumstances to safeguard the vast coastline.
- It undertakes diverse roles like rescue operations during cyclones, marine pollution response and anti-narco operations.
- ICG plays an important role for supporting the neighbouring countries in IoR.
- It plays critical role in anti-smuggling and anti-narcotics, both nationally and internationally.
- It has recently undertaken various pollution response, firefighting and interdiction operations beyond IoR, when called upon by littoral countries.
- ICG being the 4th largest in the world with almost 160 ships and 62 aircraft.