5th September, 2022 EXTRA TOPIC OF THE DAY
Copyright infringement not intended
- More than 70,000 Czech Republic citizens have gathered in a protest against their government’s failure to control increasing energy prices.
- The demonstration was the most extensive display of public dissatisfaction against the cost-of-living crisis due to increasing energy prices that have exacerbated in Europe due to the Russia-Ukraine
- The protesters demanded:
- Military neutrality.
- Direct gas supply contracts, including with Russia.
- Denial of permanent settlement to Ukrainian refugees.
- The Czech Republic is a landlocked country in Central Europe.
- It is bordered by:
- Austria in the South.
- Germany in the West.
- Poland in the Northeast.
- Slovakia to the Southeast.
- The Czech Republic has mostly temperate continental and oceanic climates.
- Prague is the capital and largest city.
- The Czech Republic has a developed, high-income, export-oriented economy based on services, manufacturing and innovation.