20th July, 2021 Security and Defence
- With the enhanced use of cyber space, the number of cyber crimes, including financial frauds and crimes relating to women, is also increasing.
- ‘Police’ and ‘Public Order’ are State subjects as per the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution of India.
- States/UTs are primarily responsible for the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of crimes including cyber crime through their Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs).
- The LEAs take legal action as per provisions of law against the offenders.
Measures taken so far:
- The Central Government supplements the initiatives of the State Governments through advisories and financial assistance under various schemes for their capacity building.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has provided financial assistance to all the States & UTs under Cyber Crime Prevention against Women & Children (CCPWC) scheme to support their efforts for setting up of cyber forensic-cum-training laboratories, training, and hiring of junior cyber consultants.
- Cyber forensic-cum-training laboratories have been commissioned in 18 States.
- The Central Government has taken steps for spreading awareness about cyber crimes, issuance of alerts/ advisories, capacity building/ training of law enforcement personnel/ prosecutors/ judicial officers, improving cyber forensic facilities etc.
- The Government has established Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) to provide a framework and eco-system for LEAs to deal with the cyber crimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
- The Government has launched the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (www.cybercrime.gov.in), to enable public to report incidents pertaining to all types of cyber crimes, with a special focus on cyber crimes against women and children.
- A toll-free number 155260 has been operationalised to get assistance in lodging online cyber complaints.
- Citizen Financial Cyber Fraud Reporting and Management System module has been launched for immediate reporting of financial frauds and to stop siphoning off fund by the fraudsters.