ACHARYA VINOBA BHAVE
12th September, 2022 Art & Culture
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Prime Minister of India paid tributes to Acharya Vinoba Bhave on his Jayanti on 11th September.
Acharya Vinoba Bhave
- He was born in 1895 in a small village in Maharashtra.
- He wrote Ishavasyavritti and Sthitaprajna Darshan in jail.
- Gandhi chose him as the first participant in the individual satyagraha campaign in 1940.
- He was a freedom fighter and a spiritual teacher.
- He always followed the path of truth and Non-violence, as guided by Mahatma Gandhi.
- He participated in the activities at Gandhi's ashram, like teaching, studying, spinning and improving the lives of the community.
- He was the founder of the ‘Bhoodan Movement’ (Gift of the Land).
- He started the movement from Telangana.
- Vinoba Bhave travelled all across the country asking landlords to consider him as one of their sons and so give him a portion of their land. He then distributed those portions of land to the landless poor.
- Vinoba Bhave once said, “All revolutions are spiritual at the source. All my activities have the sole purpose of achieving a union of hearts.”
- In 1958, Vinoba was the first recipient of the international Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership.
- He was also conferred with the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 1983.