37th NATIONAL GAMES
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.jiocinema.com
Context: The 37th National Games will take place from 26 October to 9 November 2023 in Goa.
- The Prime Minister inaugurated the 37th National Games at Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Margao, Goa. The Games are scheduled from 26th October to 9th November.
- Over 10,000 athletes from across India are participating in the 37th National Games, competing in over 43 sports disciplines at 28 venues.
- In 2021, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) finally confirmed that Goa would host the 37th National Games in 2023.
- The 37th National Games are the first to be held in Goa
- The National Games were first held in 1924, and they have been held regularly since then, with the exception of a few years during World War II and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The National Games are governed by the IOA, and the event is funded by the central government and the state government of the host state.
Must Read Articles:
Sports Governance In India: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/sports-governance-in-india
Q. What are the key challenges faced by sports governance in India, and what initiatives or reforms have been taken to improve the transparency, accountability, and overall effectiveness of sports administration in the country?