132nd DURAND CUP
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: The 132nd Durand Cup began on August 5, 2023, in Kokrajhar, Assam. The Union Defence Minister participated in the opening ceremony. The event was organized by the Armed Forces and supported by the Assam government.
- The Union Defence Minister praised the Armed Forces and the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) for their efforts in creating a favourable environment in Kokrajhar, which resulted in the event being held in the city for the first time.
- The inaugural ceremony was followed by the tournament's first match between Bodoland FC and Rajasthan United FC.
- During the competition, 24 teams will compete at three locations in Kolkata, Guwahati, and Kokrajhar, including two foreign teams from Nepal and Bangladesh, all three Indian Armed Forces teams, and the local squad of Bodoland FC.
- The Durand Cup, the oldest football tournament in India, was founded by Sir Henry Mortimer Durand in 1888. He wanted to promote sportsmanship and fitness among the Indian people, so he donated a trophy for the best football team in the country.
- The first edition of the tournament was held in Shimla, the summer capital of British India.
- The tournament was initially a military affair, involving the British Armed Forces, the Indian Army, and other armed units. It later expanded to include civilian teams.
- The competition attracts a diverse range of teams, including football clubs from different parts of India, teams from the Indian Armed Forces, and occasionally, international teams.
- The Durand Cup is the oldest existing club football tournament in Asia.
- The tournament is hosted by the Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS) and the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- Bengaluru FC is the current holder of the Durand Cup.
Must Read Articles:
BODOLAND TERRITORIAL COUNCIL: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/bodoland-territorial-council
Consider the following statements in the context of the Durand Cup.
1. The Durand Cup was started in 1858 to promote friendly relations among princely states.
2. The first edition of the tournament was held in Kolkata, the capital of British India.
3. The tournament was initially a military affair.
4. Kolkata FC is the current holder of the Durand Cup.
How many of the above statements is/are correct?
A) Only 1
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
Statement 1 is incorrect: The Durand Cup was started in 1888, not in 1858, to encourage sporting competition and maintain health, not to promote friendly relations among princely states.
Statement 2 is incorrect: The first edition of the tournament was not held in Kolkata. It was initially held in Dagshai, near Shimla, during the British Raj era.
Statement 3 is correct. The Durand Cup was initially a military affair open to the British Armed Forces, the Indian Army, and other armed units.
Statement 4 is incorrect: Bengaluru FC is the current holder of the Durand Cup.