SHANTI SWARUP BHATNAGAR AWARDS
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: The scientific community is concerned that the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards, the highest annual science honour for young scientists under 45 years, have been suspended for the first time since their inception in 1958. The awards recognize outstanding scientific contributions in various fields made between 2017-21. The names of the winners for 2022 were finalized but not declared on September 26, the CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) Foundation Day, as was the usual practice every year.
- The decision to withhold the Bhatnagar Awards was explained by Science and Technology Minister as part of an effort to "rationalize" the awards given by science ministries and departments. Despite ten months have passed since that announcement, there has been no official word on the fate of the awards for 2022 or the reinstatement of the awards.
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology is a prestigious award that recognizes the outstanding achievements of young Indian scientists and engineers.
- The award is named after Dr. (Sir) Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar, the Founder-Director of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), India's largest research and development organization.
- It aims to honour the research and developmental work of Indian citizens in various fields of science and technology that have the potential for social and economic benefits.
- It is open to any Indian citizen under the age of 45 years who is engaged in research in India. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) working in India are also eligible.
- A member of the CSIR governing body, a Vice-Chancellor of a university or an institute of national importance, a dean of a science faculty or a previous Bhatnagar Awardee can propose names of candidates for the award.
- The Advisory Committee, which is formed every year and has at least six experts including at least one former Bhatnagar Awardee in the relevant field, selects the awardees.
- The selection requires the agreement of at least 2/3 of the members.
- If there are two nominees in the same field who have equal merit and unanimous support, both are awarded.
- The work being considered for the award should have been done in India during the five years preceding the year of the award.
- The award consists of a citation, a plaque, and a cash prize of Rs. 5 lahks. In addition, the awardees receive a monthly honorarium of Rs. 15,000 until they reach the age of 65.
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology is a highly esteemed recognition in the Indian scientific community and a source of inspiration for young researchers to pursue excellence and innovation in science and technology within the country.
Q. What is the purpose of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize?
A) To honour politicians
B) To recognize young scientists and engineers
C) To promote cultural activities
D) To encourage business innovation
Explanation: The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize is a prestigious national recognition awarded to young scientists and engineers for their research and developmental work in India.