Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.travelseewrite.com
Context: The SARAS Mela inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Rural Development aimed at encouraging Self-Help Group (SHG) women, often referred to as Lakhpati Didis, under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) in India.
- The SARAS Mela is organized by the Ministry of Rural Development and the National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR).
- The SARAS Mela provides a platform for over 800 SHG women from across the country to showcase their handicrafts, handloom products, and regional culinary delights. The event aims to support livelihood enhancement initiatives among rural women.
- The initiative aligns with the Prime Minister’s vision to empower at least 2 Crore Lakhpati Didis from the 10 Crore large family of SHG Didis under DAY-NRLM. Lakhpati Didis refers to women in SHGs who have attained financial stability and prosperity.
- DAY-NRLM is a flagship rural poverty alleviation program of the Government of India.
- It aims to reach out to 10 Crore rural poor households and organize one woman member from each rural household into affinity-based women SHGs. These SHGs provide long-term support, helping members access financial services, stabilize their livelihoods, and avail their entitlements.
- The core objective is to ensure each family achieves household food security and has more than one stabilized livelihood source.
Components of DAY-NRLM
- Promoting and strengthening self-managed and financially sustainable community institutions of the rural poor.
- Ensuring financial services are accessible to the rural poor.
- Diversifying and stabilizing the livelihoods of SHG members.
- Focusing on social inclusion, development, and convergence of various schemes.
- The SARAS Mela serves as a testament to the government's commitment to empowering rural women through initiatives like DAY-NRLM, providing them with a platform to showcase their skills and products, and ultimately promoting financial independence and stability among SHG members.
Must Read Articles:
SELF HELP GROUPS (SHGs): https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/self-help-groups-shgs
WOMEN SHGs IN INDIA: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/women-shgs-in-india
LAKHPATI DIDI' INITIATIVE: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/lakhpati-didi-initiative
DEENDAYAL ANTYODAYA YOJANA - NATIONAL RURAL LIVELIHOOD MISSION: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/deendayal-antyodaya-yojana-national-rural-livelihood-mission
Q. What role do Women Self-Help Groups (SHGs) play in empowering and improving the socio-economic status of women in India, and what are the key challenges they face in their efforts to promote financial inclusion and gender equality?