16th July, 2021 Culture
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates an international cooperation and convention centre, also known as 'Rudraksha', in Varanasi built with Japanese assistance.
- As many as 108 Rudraksha have been installed at this convention centre and its roof is shaped like a Shiva Linga.
- The objective of the project is to provide opportunities for social and cultural interactions between people at the international convention centre
- It is ideal for holding international conferences, exhibitions and music concerts and other events and the gallery is done up with murals depicting Varanasi's art, culture and music.
- It will be an environment-friendly building, fit for level 3 of Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA).
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council is an independent, not-for-profit society jointly setup by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India to promote and administer green buildings in India.
- GRIHA was adopted as the National Rating System for Green Buildings in India by MNRE in 2007.
- It seeks to minimise resource consumption, waste generation and overall ecological/environmental impact of buildings and habitat. GRIHA works on the underlying principle of "What gets measured gets managed".