Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- An autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) designed to detect mines and a first of its kind in the country was launched.
- The AUV named 'Neerakshi' is a collaboration of Kolkata-based warship maker Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd and MSME entity AEPL.
- The AUV was named “Neerakshi”(meaning “Eyes in the Water”)
- The lightweight and man-portable AUV has been designed to operate in a totally autonomous manner and its modular design enables it to carry out a variety of roles depending on the payload.
- The 2.15m long AUV will have an endurance of nearly 4 hours and is capable of operating up to a depth of 300m.
- These AUVs once in operation by our Armed Forces, could play an important role in mine countermeasure operations and also make excellent reusable targets during Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) practices by warships.
- They can also be deployed for passive acoustic monitoring during which they could remain in position for prolonged durations, monitoring the possible movement of sub-surface platforms.
- This can be used for a variety of functions ranging from mine detection to mine disposal to underwater survey.
- Once the user trials are complete, and user requirements are incorporated, commercial production of the AUV will commence.
- Efforts are in place to increase its endurance by 200-300%, enabling it to be deployed for coastguard duties either from a mother ship or the coast.
PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTION
Q. Recently, NEERAKSHI was in the news. What is it?
1) A Missile.
2) An Autonomous Underwater Vehicle.
3) Abhay class Corvette.
4) Smog air Purifier.
Which of the above option is correct?
Answer: B) 2