ICFT-UNESCO GANDHI MEDAL
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: PIB
Context: The film "Drift" directed by Anthony Chen, received the prestigious ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal at the 54th International Film Festival of India.
- The film "Drift" portrays the emotional journey of Jacqueline, a young refugee stranded alone and destitute on a Greek island. Her struggle to survive and confront her past unfolds, depicting the unexpected bond she forms with a rootless tour guide, as they navigate life's uncertainties together.
- 10 global films contending for the ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal this year at IFFI, "Drift" stood out for embodying Mahatma Gandhi's values of peace, non-violence, compassion, and universal brotherhood.
- The jury selected "Drift" for the ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal due to its portrayal of hope and resilience amidst the traumatic reality of human madness. The film emphasizes how drifting through life's challenges can lead to unexpected connections and showcases the strength found in forging ahead.
ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal
- The ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal is a prestigious award that recognizes the contribution of filmmakers who promote the ideals of peace, non-violence, tolerance and human rights.
- The medal was established in 2015 by the International Council for Film, Television and Audiovisual Communication (ICFT) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), in collaboration with the Gandhi Foundation.
- The medal is presented annually at the closing ceremony of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa, India.
- The medal aims to encourage and celebrate such filmmakers who uphold the values of human dignity, solidarity and mutual understanding through their works.
- The criteria for selecting the recipient of the medal are based on the artistic quality, originality and relevance of the film to the ideals of UNESCO and ICFT. The jury consists of eminent personalities from the fields of cinema, culture and human rights. The winner receives a bronze medal engraved with the image of Gandhi and his famous quote: "My life is my message". The medal also comes with a certificate and a cash prize.
- In 2023, the ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal was awarded to the French, British, and Greek co-production Drift directed by Anthony Chen.
- The ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal is a unique and valuable recognition that showcases the power of cinema to promote peace and dialogue among cultures. It also pays tribute to one of the most influential figures in history, whose life and teachings continue to inspire millions of people around the world.
Must Read Articles:
International Film Festival of India: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/international-film-festival-of-india
Q. Which film was honoured with the ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal at the 54th International Film Festival of India?
B) Echoes of Peace
C) Harmony's Path
D) The Serenity Project
At the 54th International Film Festival of India, "Drift" received the esteemed ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal for its profound portrayal of themes advocating peace, non-violence, and tolerance, making it a poignant choice for this significant recognition.