Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The cabinet through a circulation summary gave its seal of approval to the signing of the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement, known as the CIS-MOA, between Pakistan and the US.
About CIS MOA
- CIS-MOA is a foundational agreement that the US signs with its allies and countries with which it wants to maintain close military and defence ties.
- It also provides legal cover to the US Department of Defence for ensuring the sale of military equipment and hardware to other countries.
- The signing of the CIS-MOA means that the two countries are keen to maintain the institutional mechanism.
- The CIS-MOA first was signed between the Joint Staff Headquarters of Pakistan and the US Department of Defence in 2005 for 15 years.
Foundational Agreements of USA
- The United States signs "Foundational Agreements" with its defence partners.
- These are "routine" agreements and include:
- General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA);
- Logistic Support Agreement (LSA);
- Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and
- Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geospatial Intelligence (BECA).
- The United States has signed over 100 foundational agreements with defence partners around the world.
- In 2020 India signed the BECA, having already signed GSOMIA in 2002 (and its extension the ISA in 2019), an adapted version of the LSA — Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) in 2016, and an adapted version of CISMOA — Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) in 2018.
PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTION
Q. Consider the following pairs:
1.Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) – Provides with its encrypted communications equipment and systems.
2.Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA)- Allows the militaries to replenish from each other’s bases.
3.Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA)- Access to American geospatial intelligence
4.Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement, known as the CIS-MOA – sale of military equipment and hardware to other countries.
How many of the above-mentioned pairs are correctly matched?
A) Only 1
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
Answer: D) All