ROLE OF MEDIA
25th July, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Chief Justice of India (CJI) has stated that agenda-driven debates, especially in electronic media are hurting democracy in India.
- CJI highlighted that unless the media self-regulates its content and stops crossing the limits, the judiciary could be forced to draw lines for them.
- CJI has raised concern that Judges announce punishment and send criminals to jail, therefore judges require security after retirement but no such protection is available.
- He also raised concern over rising incidents of media kangaroo courts, Ill-informed and agenda-driven debates that are hurting Indian democracy.
- Biased views promoted by the media are affecting the people, weakening democracy, and harming the system.
- CJI urged media, particularly electronic and social media, to behave responsibly.
Significance of Media
- Media refers to all means of Communication, everything ranging from a Phone Call to the news on TV.
- TV, radio and newspapers are a form of media. Since they reach millions of people across the world they are Called Mass Media.
- A balanced report is essential in media which has to report independently.
- Media plays a very important role in providing news and discussing events taking place in the Country and the world.
- News Stories in the media inform people about important events in the Country.
- Media by focusing on particular issues influences and Shapes our thoughts. It is said the media sets the agenda for People.
- Opinions, attitudes, and Conduct of persons are dependent upon the information available to them.
- Most of our knowledge of Contemporary events comes to us from newspapers, Radio, Television and movies.
- Our emotions and attitudes are also formed or influenced to a large extent by the media.
- The media tell us about the working of the Government and create awareness about the welfare programmes.
Copyright infringement not intended
- The media is far from being independent. This is because of the Control of Government over the media Called Censoring and because big business houses Control the media.
- Corporate Funding - A lot of money is spent on maintaining People and getting the latest technology. To meet this Cost, it needs money.
- Media, therefore, uses advertising as a tool to raise revenue.
- Manipulating News for TRPs is not only a financial scam but also morally and ethically wrong.
- Some Channels are spreading a hate narrative which is a violation of the fundamental right of the citizen to know the truth through the media.
- The media has become a source of disinformation, and this is also an ethical issue.
- Both legal and ethical dimensions are equally serious
- The democratic way of life depends upon the existence of free agencies of mass media.
- The Media must act in a Responsible and Independence manner; they need to promote Sincerity, Truthfulness, Accuracy, and Impartiality in their work.
- News reporting must be factual and objective.
- Programs relating to Controversial public issues are needed to give fair representation to both sides of the issue.
- Children’s programs are to be educative rather than merely entertaining.
- Advertising of hard liquor, and fortune-telling, must be avoided.
- Privacy is one of the fundamental freedoms of people and it is essential to liberty and human dignity.
- A journalist must be held accountable for the consequences of the reporting.
- Need to promote a Free and Responsible Press.
- The technique of murder must be presented in a way that will not inspire imitation.
- Brutal killings are not to be presented in detail.
- The media should not report glorification of war, over-sentimentality, unnecessary brutality or killing, passionate love scenes, undue sympathy for immoral or criminal behaviour, or superficiality.
- Government can facilitate the Reform Process. The government may pass a law that any violation will face legal action or criminal action, but the media needed a strong policy of Self-regulation and at the same time independent regulation.