Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: tatvita-analysts.com
Context: The Union Minister of State for Labour and Employment informed the Rajya Sabha about the e-SHRAM portal, emphasizing its role in registering unorganized sector workers to facilitate the provision of social security benefits and welfare measures. The portal aims to enhance the well-being of these workers by centralizing and managing their employment-related information.
About e-SHRAM portal
- The e-SHRAM portal, introduced by the Ministry of Labour & Employment, offers unorganized workers, including migrant and domestic workers, the opportunity to register themselves based on self-declaration.
- This registration covers a wide spectrum of occupations, spanning 400 types across 30 broad sectors.
- The main objective behind this initiative is to create a comprehensive national database of unorganized workers integrated with Aadhaar details. This database will enable the efficient delivery of social security and welfare schemes to this demographic.
- As of December 15, 2023, an impressive count of over 29.23 Crore unorganized workers have successfully registered on this portal, signifying its significant reach and impact.
Other social security and welfare schemes
- PM Vishwakarma Scheme: Aims to support artisans and craftspeople in 18 trades, enabling them to enhance their operations, upgrade tools, and enter the formal economy as entrepreneurs. Focuses on modernization, upgradation, and providing platforms for brand promotion and market linkages for growth opportunities.
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY): Provide life and disability cover in case of natural or accidental death. These schemes offer financial security to the beneficiaries and their families in the event of unfortunate incidents.
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Man Dhan Pension Scheme (PM-SYM): Provides old-age social security through a monthly pension for eligible unorganized workers. Aims to ensure financial stability during retirement.
- Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PM-JAY): Offers health cover of Rs. 5 lakhs per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization. Ensures access to quality healthcare for vulnerable families, including unorganized and migrant workers.
- PM-SVANidhi Scheme: Facilitates collateral-free working capital loans of up to Rs. 10,000 for one-year tenure to street vendors. Aims to support street vendors in expanding their businesses and enhancing livelihoods.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana: Addresses housing needs for eligible beneficiaries, ensuring access to proper housing facilities.
These schemes collectively target various aspects of livelihood and social security, encompassing health, financial stability, entrepreneurship, and housing. By catering to the specific needs of unorganized workers and marginalized communities, these initiatives contribute significantly to their socio-economic empowerment and overall well-being.
Must Read Articles:
E-SHRAM PORTAL: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/e-shram-portal-29
Q. How have the implemented social security and welfare schemes positively impacted the lives of unorganized workers, including migrant and domestic workers, in terms of financial stability, healthcare access, entrepreneurship, and housing provisions?