Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended
Context: Ukraine has been pushing for ATACMS missiles which could strike at the heart of Russia’s fragile supply lines.
About ATACMS missiles
- The Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) is a conventional surface-to-surface artillery weapon system.
- It is a long-range guided missile that gives operational commanders the immediate firepower to win the deep battle.
- It is a ballistic missile manufactured by the US defence company Lockheed Martin.
- It is capable of striking targets well beyond the range of existing Army cannons, rockets and other missiles.
Features of the missile
- It has a Maximum range of 300 km.
- They are fired from the MLRS Family of Launchers called MLRS M270 and M270A1 weapons platforms.
- They have an Improved guidance package with Global Positioning System.
- It Carries a WDU 18, 500-lb class blast fragmentation warhead.
- ATACMS was deployed in Operation Desert Storm and was very successful.
Other Important missile deployed by US in Ukraine
- The US recently sent Patriot missiles to Ukraine to defend it against Russia.
- The MIM-104 Patriot is a surface-to-air missile (SAM) system, the primary such system used by the United States Army and several allied states.
- It is manufactured by the S. defence contractor Raytheon.
- They can target aircraft, cruise missiles and shorter-range ballistic missiles.
- The system’s effectiveness is however limited and that it may not significantly change the shape of the war.
Consider the following statements about “ATACMS” recently seen in news:
Which of the above statements are correct?